When Columbus sighted Cuba on October 27, 1492, he described it as “the most beautiful land ever seen by human eyes” and named it Juana, in honor of the Spanish heir. However, upon finding little gold on the island, Columbus abandoned Cuba for the island of Hispaniola. In 1512 Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar led an expedition from Hispaniola with the objective of conquering Cuba for the Spanish crown. At the end of 1514, the conquistadors had seven settlements, among them primitive Havana.
Old Havana and Guanajuato have been sister cities since June 10, 1999.
SIMILARITIES WITH GUANAJUATO
Old Havana is a member of the Organization of World Heritage Cities; it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982.
Both are tourist, cultural and educational cities.
Honorable City Council of Guanajuato 2006-2009
Plaza de la Paz 12, Guanajuato, Gto. México 36000
52 + (473) 73 21213, (473) 73 32594